The earth moves in at least SIX different ways, and yet we on earth are not dizzy. The movements are:
- The earth spins on its axis, like a top, at the speed of one-third mile per second or 1,000 miles per hour. If it were 100 miles per hour, the earth would alternately freeze and burn.
- It weaves slowly back and forth on its axis, tilting to an angle of 23 degrees, then swinging slowly back, twice a year. This gives us our seasons.
- The earth with the moon is swinging around the sun, once a year at the rate of 18½ miles per second. And it never varies 1/10,000th of a second on this annual trip.
- The sun, with all its planets, is on a trip, rushing northward at 12 miles per second.
- The nearby stars, with our planetary system, are revolving at 180 miles per second around the Milky Way’s center.
- The Milky Way, our galaxy, with all its millions of stars, is on a tremendous journey, plunging through space at terrific speed. Who knows where?
God guides and controls them all.
Therefore I will shake the heavens, And the earth will move out of her place, In the wrath of the LORD of hosts And in the day of His fierce anger. – Isaiah 13:13